It has been challenging to write in the time of COVID. I have a new respect for the Renaissance writers who produced such elegant and passionate plays and poetry at a time when theaters often had to shut down and quarantines were common. At first I thought all of that alone time would make it easier, but I found myself sitting despondently at the computer, staring at the screen, paralyzed by a sense of impending doom. I could write non-fiction, but I couldn't seem to focus on fiction. I had four novels going at one time--science fiction, modern mystery, and two pieces of historical fiction--that's how scattered my brain felt!  I would write a few pages on one and then my attention would wander to another, so I was bouncing between Bronze Age Greece, early Judah, futuristic time travel, and Sandi Beck on her sailboat in Florida. It was confusing, frustrating and disheartening. 

 It wasn't until the days got warmer and I was able to get outside, see other human beings (albeit in a distanced way), and lose myself in kayaking and sailing and gardening that I found the discipline and desire to focus on writing. Funny, isn't it, how living feeds creativity? Unfortunately, I wasn't sure which novel to push to the forefront and actually finish. I owe a debt to three friends (Barney, Ronda, and Pam) who kindly offered to read the first few chapters of all the novels and give their feedback to break my deadlock. Based on their recommendations and their love of mysteries, I hunkered down at the computer and completed the fourth in the Sandi Beck murder mystery series. I'm excited to announce that  Drowning in Lies, will be out this November, and this time High Tide Publications is having an audible/audiobook version released along with the e-book and paperback. It was exciting to listen to audition tapes and choose a voice that fit my character. I can't wait to hear the completed version! More details to come!

 

Comments

  1. Looking forward to adding to my Lies collection with this fourth installment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for #4!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Countdown Sale